Friday, March 10, 2017

Week 5

Welcome to Week 5!

I went into lab Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week. This week was ASU’s Spring Break, but I decided to come in anyways as many students in the lab were too.

On Monday, I worked on Excel. In case you missed the explanation of what I’m doing in my previous posts, I’m putting all the numbers that I got from Sholl Analysis into a spreadsheet so that we can graph the data. Sorry that’s not too interesting to read about. I’ve been trying to think of more to write, so if there’s any part of working in a lab that you want to hear more about please let me know. In other news, I also figured out where Dutch is in relation to the Psychology building so that makes going to Tempe a little more exciting.

On Wednesday, I worked more on Excel. I also found out that I don’t know how to turn on a Mac desktop computer. I was sitting all alone in lab frantically searching for the power button (which by the way was not on the back of the display as Google had promised) so that no one would know. Unfortunately, one of the students came in, and I had to ask for her help. I also had to ask for the password, so I’m telling myself that, even if I did know how to turn on the computer, I wouldn’t have been able to sign in. So it’s fine.

After that little incident, I finished putting everything in Excel. Thinking I was free, I told the graduate student, Bryce, that I was finished. He seemed very happy with my progress but told me I need to further organize the data, making different pages in the Excel document. Got to admit, I really like organizing and color coding, so I enjoyed this a bit more than I thought I would. Bryce helped with this and told me a little more about the study (or at least the parts of the brain that the study focuses on).

As some background, I am working on the aging and stress study which looks at the impact of chronic stress in old compared to young mice. They are looking at the hippocampus in both groups, specifically the CA3 region. Here’s a picture:


In this region, there are primarily pyramidal neurons which have an apical portion extending from the top and a basal portion extending from the bottom. On the apical portion, if there is only one dendrite extending for a while away from the cell body, the neuron is a long shaft (LS) neuron. If this dendrite branches shortly after leaving the cell body, the neuron is a short shaft (SS) neuron. I’ll include an image of a pyramidal neuron but, unfortunately, couldn’t find one comparing LS and SS neurons.



On Friday, Bryce was out sick, but I finished putting everything in Excel. I had to further organize the rats based on their group (control, stress immediate, or stress recovery). The control rats were not stressed. The stress immediate rats were euthanized immediately after being chronically stressed. The stress recovery rats were given a period of time to recover after being chronically stressed and were then euthanized. I also grouped each rat’s neurons depending on if they were LS or SS. The next step will be graphing all this data.

I hope everyone who was on Spring Break had a great vacation! I am planning to take my Spring Break next week. Thanks for reading!

21 comments :

  1. Hi Gillian,

    I really enjoyed looking and studying the diagrams that you have included. It really looks cool and fascinating. Have fun!

    Sincerely, Bhavik Rajaboina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,

    In relation to the experiment, why is grouping the LS and SS neurons important to determining stress? Also, do rats in different categories (euthanized, control, etc.) have varying ratios of LS or SS neurons? How does this contribute to the overall lab results?

    Thanks for your post, and I look forward to your response.

    Sincerely,

    Anya Wahal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. The study is looking at the length of the neurons, and, since SS neurons are naturally shorter, not taking this into account would bias the data. SS and LS neurons make up the CA3 region in the hippocampus, so I don't think the ratio is impacted by the rat's group. Thanks for your questions! (I really like your profile picture by the way, I love that movie :)!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Gillian,

    As a Dutch enthusiast myself, this Dutch news of yours truly is very exciting...what is your favorite drink from there? It's always great to find enjoyment in a task which is somewhat monotonous, so I hope that you find other tasks of yours not tedious! Have fun on your spring break and drink a bunch of Dutch (also don't eat rats?).

    Sincerely,

    Danielle Borie
    Dutch enthusiast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blended james dean rebel is by far my favorite.

      Thanks for your advice, I'll try not to eat any rats.

      Delete
  4. Hey Gillian!

    I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with the Mac desktop. I've had trouble trying to figure out Apple computers as well. What is used to apply stress to the rats? Does it hurt them at all? I look forward to your response.

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They use mesh wire restraints to stress the rats. They are basically wire cages that prevent them from moving. Obviously it's a stressful situation but it's not designed to hurt the rats.

      Delete
  5. Hi Gillian,
    What do the LS and the SS tell about stress levels in the different age groups of mice? Thank you and I hope you have a great spring break!
    -Vara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I answered your question in my response to Anya. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. Gillian,
    I am glad your research is going well and that you are enjoying it. I am curious about how you stress the rats and how many times they are stressed before it is considered chronic. I hope you have a relaxing spring break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they stress them for a period of 21 days in order for it to be considered chronic. I'll be sure to check that number with the other students. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hi Gillian,
    It sounds like it was a fun week for sure. How do you know the ages of each group of rats? Do they keep them separated into groups at birth? Do you also make note of how the rats behave after being stressed, as well as after a time of stress recovery?
    -Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure how they keep track of the rat's ages. They do, however, keep the two groups separate while the study is in progress. For this study, they are mostly looking at the impact on the brain not on the rat's behavior. For other studies, they film the rats to make note of how they act.

      Delete
  8. Hey Gillian! Looks like you are finding a nice balance between doing Excel work and continuing on with your project. Interested to read more about your work on stress in rats in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Gillian! This week is really interesting to me. I love learning about how the brain works in conjunction with the nervous system. It sounds like you got quite a bit of work done, and I'm happy that you found the Dutch Bros. (If you're into chick fila there's one if you go west on university for about 2 miles). Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check the chick fil a out during my lunch break hahah. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  10. Hi Gillian, I am glad to hear that you were able to find a nearby Dutch Brothers, that is always good, news, I am also happy to hear that you are learning how to properly use a desktop. Now, now, all jokes aside, it truly seems that you are getting the hang of things at the lab and are definitely contributing to the research. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment! I'm pretty proud that I've learned how to use a desktop.

      Delete
  11. Hi Gillian! It is nice that you found something simple to be enjoyable. It certainly makes the work easier! Thank you for including more pictures. It helped understand your post better. I can't wait to hear more and have fun on your break!

    ReplyDelete