Friday, March 3, 2017

Week 4

Welcome back for week 4!

I didn’t get a chance to report on last Friday’s lab meeting, so I’ll quickly do that now. We discussed an article by Grissom et al titled “Struggling behavior during restraint is regulated by stress experience.” This paper examines how rats react to stress based on their history (essentially whether the stressor is novel or whether they have been introduced to that stressor before). It uses new vocabulary that is relevant to Dr. Conrad’s lab. Homotypic stress is day after day of the same restraint. Heterotypic stress is one stressor over and over followed by the introduction of a novel stressor. After comparing these two groups, the study concludes that stressors depend on the type and history of the animal, for this will change their reactivity to the stressor. I really appreciate that the lab learns from articles relevant to the studies that they are conducting and incorporates their findings into their own research. 

Back to this week. I went into the lab Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (today). On Tuesday, I finished Sholl Analysis, meaning I got through all the drawings of neurons. This was the first time I really felt that I was helping out the lab as everyone seemed pretty surprised that I got through it so quickly. The study has been ongoing since 2010, so it felt great to have completed even a portion of it. For the rest of Tuesday, I made mesh wire restraints used for stressing mice. I had to dip the mesh wire into a black goo that then dries to cover and exposed edges. Even though it was fairly simple, it was fun to be able to do something in the actual lab under a fume hood.

On Wednesday, I made more of the restraints. After hanging them out to dry, I began putting all the data I got from Sholl Analysis into Excel so that we can graph the data points. Previously, I had written the number of dendrites crossing each circle on a piece of paper, so I simply transferred that into a spreadsheet. It’s a bit tedious and there’s a lot to do, but I enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would. There’s something kind of relaxing in plugging away at a repetitive task, and it’s nice to know that I’m working towards a larger goal.

Today, I have been sitting in lab writing this blog post. We have a lab meeting in about half an hour. An undergraduate student attending Barrett is going to practice presenting his thesis. Since I’ll be attending Barrett, I’m excited to see what the honors thesis entails. For the rest of the day, I’ll probably continue putting numbers into Excel.

Overall, even though a lot of the work that I’m doing in the lab is a bit tedious, I’m really happy with the experience that I am getting. A lot of the stuff that I am doing happens behind the scenes for every study, and I never put much thought into all that goes on in a lab. The first thing that comes to mind is always the actual collecting of data, never the processing of those numbers. It’s nice to have a different perspective on working in a lab.

Thanks for reading!

Update: It's a little later Friday afternoon and I have some time to add onto my post before I head home. In the lab meeting, everyone helped to edit the Barrett thesis that one of the undergraduate students presented. It was all about the work that he had been doing in the lab. After the meeting, Dr. Conrad taught me and another student how to check the data we had entered into Excel. Since it is such a repetitive task, it is very error prone, so we print out the document and compare what was entered to the raw data. We worked on the data the undergraduate had put in. She read the raw data to me and I ensured that it was the same number that was entered into Excel. Thanks again :)!

13 comments :

  1. Hey Gillian!

    It sounds like you had a busy week. I'm glad you got to work in the lab more this week. Were you working in the wet lab at all this week or is that portion of the research coming later?

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the wet lab as I was working with chemicals. The only thing I was doing though was making mesh wire cages. I should be doing more there soon!

      Delete
  2. Hey Gillian! Thanks for keeping the readers updated on your tasks in the lab as well as some of the data/articles you have been reviewing. I thought it was really interesting reading about how even the history of an animal with a stressor can affect their reactions. Anyways great post and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayvon! I really liked how precise they are with the definition of stressor in order to avoid confusion or faulty data.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gillian! As you have spent more time in the lab I'm curious if there are any experiences from your classes here at BASIS that you have drawn upon or that you've found helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Wilson! I think that the Biology and Chemistry classes I took at BASIS prepared me for working in a lab. I am familiar with a lot of terms thanks to Honors and AP Bio and had an easier time with the lab safety courses thanks to Honors and AP Chemistry. Overall, I think BASIS really helped me to learn how to manage my time and be organized and I think that makes juggling work and being in a lab much easier.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gillian! It's really interesting to hear all the progress you have made this week. I can't wait to hear what other tasks you wonderfully complete this coming week. What's your favorite thing to do at the lab?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani! So far, I really enjoy having a specific project (the aging and stress study) that I am working towards completing. Even though putting things in Excel is quite tedious, there is a purpose behind it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Gillian. It definitely seems like you've made some progress throughout this week, especially by impressing your fellow lab mates with your agility and speed. I'm glad you are making your time there productive, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along Frida! Hope you had a great Spring Break.

      Delete
  6. Hi Gillian,

    I appreciate your hardwork and dedication to your lab and research.

    Sincerely, Bhavik Rajaboina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gillian! It seems like you had a busy week in the lab. What do you think is the hardest part so far about working in a lab?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Gillian! Sounds like you had some fun this week! It's really awesome that you got to work in the lab, and I'm very interested in the work that you have analyzing in regards to multiple stressors and how that affects organisms. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete