Saturday, April 1, 2017

Week 8

Welcome back for week 8!

I went into lab Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week. Friday is my birthday so I decided to take it off (:

On Monday and Wednesday, I searched for a few more articles for Bryce, but I mostly helped make mice restraints. I made 20 of them. First, I had to cut the proper dimensions from a roll of wire mesh. Second, I folded the sheets into restraint shapes. Third, I covered all the exposed edges with a sort of liquid rubber that will dry and ensure that the restraints stay together. As I said in response to some comments last week, I believe that these restraints are to prepare for the fear conditioning study that will be taking place over the summer. That study will be branching off the one that I mentioned in my introductory post. Basically, the lab pairs chronic stress with fear conditioning to create a rat model of PTSD.

On Thursday (which is the day I am writing this), I met with Dr. Conrad and Bryce to discuss the end of the Senior Project. They are going to help me with my final presentation. I am going to present to Bryce on Monday and Dr. Conrad on Wednesday and they will give me some pointers before I present to the entire lab Friday. Needless to say, I’m quite nervous and really need to get a move on with this PowerPoint.

Dr. Conrad gave me some brief pointers in the meeting today, and I am going to note them down here. As you all know, I have been working on the aging and stress study. Dr. Conrad wants me to give background on the study (things like what are dendrites, why are we looking at the hippocampus, why is chronic stress different from normal stress, etc.) I’ll then introduce the study, present the raw data, and explain the graphs that I made. They also said that my name will be on a poster when the study is formally presented. So that’s pretty exciting.

Now, I want to quickly give an overview of what I will be doing for the last two weeks of my project. Next week will mostly be working on and presenting the final presentation to the lab. The week after that I will take all the comments and improve the PowerPoint. I hope to have it well polished by the time it is due to BASIS for review.

Thanks for following along! The Senior Project is coming to a close much faster than I thought it would.

20 comments :

  1. Gillian,
    Happy Birthday. It seems like your project is going well and that you will be well prepared to present your project. I hope all goes well and I cant wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,
    Happy belated birthday! Good luck on presentation! I have really appreciated the clear blogs that you have written and that graphs as well as the data that you have shared with us. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along Vara! It's crazy my senior project is coming so quickly to an end.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Gillian!

    Wow time really flies by fast! I can't believe you are ready to prepare the PowerPoint already! Good luck with that and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress next week.

    Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jakob! I'm happy you've been following along (:

      Delete
  4. Hi Gillian, happy birthday! I hope you had a great time today. Your project seems to be well developed and I am sure you will do well on your presentations. That's amazing that your name will be on the poster of the study! Thank you for allowing us to follow your research. Good luck on the presentations!
    -Jileena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jileena! It's exciting to work on the PowerPoint and see what these eight weeks of work have built up to!

      Delete
  5. Hi Gillian,

    Happy belated birthday and good luck with your presentations!

    Sincerely, Bhavik Rajaboina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Happy Birthday! It's so exciting to have your name on the poster! Congratulations! Hopefully Dr. Conrad will give you some useful pointers for your presentation. :)

    Best of luck!

    Anya Wahal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anya! I'm meeting with Dr. Conrad today and will see how it goes (:

      Delete
  7. Hey Gillian! It's great that the staff there is helping you with your powerpoint which we are all excited to see. Thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's also a little stressful that they want me to present to the entire team hahah.

      Delete
  8. Hey Gillian! Happy Birthday. I hope you do great on your presentation. You are doing so great at the lab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gillian,

    Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you took a day off to celebrate. It looks like you have been working very hard on this project and you deserve a break. :) I can't believe the senior projects are almost over. Good luck on your presentation!

    Shivalee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time has flown by. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  10. Hi Gillian! Firstly, I hope you had a fantastic birthday because it sounds like this upcoming is going to be stressful with this whole presenting to the lab situation. I hope it works out fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frida! I'm presenting today, so we'll see.

      Delete