Sunday, April 16, 2017

Week 10

Welcome to the last week of the senior projects! I can’t believe it’s here already.

Coinciding perfectly with the end of my senior project, the lab finished up a lot of projects that they have been working on. On Monday, I helped Bryce weigh the mice used in his study for the last time. He is done stressing the mice and will now analyze the impact that chronic stress had on proteins in their brains. An undergraduate students also helped me check the data from the aging and stress study that I put into Excel. We need to ensure that I transferred the right numbers and didn’t make any typos.

On Wednesday, since I finished up the study that I was working on, I helped with another study. For this study, rats are placed in a maze with three arms. The first time they are placed in the maze, an arm is blocked off. The second time, the arm is opened up. They are looking to see how much time the rat spends in this novel arm compared to the start and other arm. I was doing a lot of math in order to determine that for the remaining rats.

Today is Friday, and our lab meeting is a little different than usual. We are combining with another lab to listen to a guest speaker talk about sex hormone influences on cognition. I’m excited to see what the meeting is like.

For the rest of the project, I just need to practice my final presentation. Presenting it at last week’s meeting was really helpful, and I feel very confident talking about it now.

Looking back, I’m really glad that I got this opportunity as I am going to be able to continue with the lab in college. I came into this thinking I wouldn’t enjoy the research side of psychology as much as I did. It’s changed my perspective on working in a lab, and I’m excited to continue doing so. Overall, I would say that the senior project is a great way to explore new things even if they aren’t what you picture yourself doing as a career. Be open to all the potential site placements that come your way.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone that I’ve worked with: Dr. Conrad, Bryce Ortiz, everyone else at her lab Behavioral Neuroscience Research in Stress, my college counselors, my friends and family, and everyone who has been following along and reading my posts. Thanks so much!

18 comments :

  1. Hey Gillian! It's great you found you enjoyed research. Congrats on finishing. Good luck on your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gillian,
    Congratulations on finishing the project. I'm glad that you had a great experience and enjoyed it. Good luck on the final presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gillian,
    Congrats on finishing the project. Hope your final presentation goes as planned, I know it will be very insightful. Thank you for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Gillian! Congratulations on completing your senior project! I hope one day I get to explore career and lab possibilities like you did this year, especially with such amazing people. Good luck with your upcoming presentation!

    -Anya Wahal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great opportunity! I hope it was helpful to follow along.

      Delete
  5. Yay Gillian! Almost done!!! Good luck on the presentation...I know it will run smoothly.
    Great job by the way.

    Thank you for your posts,

    Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along! Good luck with your upcoming years at basis.

      Delete
  6. Hey Gillian!
    Wow the rats in a maze experiment sounds interesting. I can't believe ten weeks have gone by. I am so happy you had a good time researching for your projects. Good luck with college!!

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivalee! Good luck with everything at BASIS.

      Delete
  7. Hi Gillian!
    It is great that you enjoyed working in the lab and doing research related to psychology. Congratulations on completing your project and thank you for all the posts! Good luck with your presentation. I am sure that you will do well.
    -Jileena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gillian,

    I really enjoyed your senior research project and analyzing stress and things to do with the brain. I have a huge passion for neuro so thank you!

    Sincerely, Bhavik Rajaboina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bhavik! I hope it was helpful to follow along (:

      Delete
    2. WOW! It sounds like you've been on quite a journey, I can't wait to hear your presentation. Good Luck!

      Delete
  9. Hey Gillian! Wow that went by so fast. It's great you have so much advice to those just getting ready to think about the SRP. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete