Friday, February 10, 2017

Week 1

Hello again!

This week has been a little hectic. Turns out that working in a lab requires a lot of paper work. Who knew? Well, admittedly, I did, but I didn’t expect to be turning in quite so many circles.

In order to work in Dr. Conrad’s lab, I needed approval from two groups: the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). So, week 1 was primarily filling out forms and taking tests.

On Monday, I took my sister to ASU to sell Girl Scout Cookies (which, by the way, is a very lucrative business as college students go crazy for them), and thought that this would be a good time to drop off the paper work. So, I stopped by Dr. Conrad’s office, handed her the forms, and ran back to save my sister from the approaching hoard of students. The paperwork was done, so, now, all I needed was to take three tests in order to be approved to work with animals.

On Tuesday, I sat myself in Starbucks to study for and take the exams. The three tests are titled Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Humane Care and Use of Mice, and Humane Care and Use of Rats, and passing them gains the approval of the IACUC. First, I went through about 30 pages of reading (all the stuff I would be tested on). The first packet was about the acts and regulations in place to ensure that laboratory animals are treated humanely (humane meaning “marked by compassion, sympathy or consideration for other human beings or animals,” as the reading defined it). The result of all the legislation is that there are a bunch of review boards to ensure that laboratory animals are properly cared for. The goal is to guarantee that we eliminate or minimize pain and distress in research animals. The approaches to doing so are categorized as follows;

1 – Refinement of technique
2 – Reduction in the number of animals
3 – And replacement of vertebrate animals with species lower on the evolutionary scale or the employment of non-animal techniques

After completing that exam, the other two were geared specifically towards working with mice and rats. I am happy to say that I passed all three and am now cleared to work with animals.

As a quick side note, even though studying for and taking the tests took a considerable amount of time (about 2 hours), it made me feel much better about working with animals. It is very clear that the utmost care is put into using laboratory animals and that they are used only when they are essential to scientific discovery.

Now, back to my week. On Wednesday, things went downhill. Tuesday night I got really sick to the point where I had about 1 hour of sleep. So, I spent most of Wednesday in a comatose state waiting for my medicine to work (no worries though, it did and I’m feeling much better now).

On Thursday, I woke up to a couple of emails from Dr. Conrad asking about two things that have proven to be very difficult to obtain: a courtesy affiliate ID and EH&S training. A courtesy affiliate ID is so I can work at ASU even though I’m not a student or professor and the EH&S training is so I can work in a lab. I had one email saying that I needed to complete the training in order to get an ID and another email saying I needed to get an ID in order to complete the training. We had found ourselves a paradox. Needless to say, I was very stressed out (quite ironically since that’s what my project is about).

Today, I have been working to resolve this paradox and am happy to say that, after many emails and phone calls, I have received my ID. Now, I can begin my EH&S training.

Overall, what I got out of this week is, when working in a lab, start the approval process as soon as possible because it’s always more complicated than you think it will be. Also, you need to be as active as possible and reach out to as many people as possible in order to get your project off the ground. You can’t just sit passively and hope someone else will sort it out for you.

Thanks for reading! Sorry this post is so long; next week I’ll try to post a couple shorter entries instead of one long one.


Gillian

24 comments :

  1. Gillian! I'm sorry you were sick and had such a stressful week but am glad to hear that things worked out for you. I have to admit that at first I was a bit worried about the treatment of the rats but after all the tests you have to take I feel much more at ease seeing as it is clear much thought and care is being put into minimizing the harm done to the animals. I can't wait to hear what happens to you next week and have to applaud the clarity and flow of this week's post. Also I admire the courage of individuals like your sister, so willing to brave the onslaught (is that how you use/spell that word? Is it a word?) Of crowds (of which I regret to say I am a part of) searching for thin mints (the best flavor).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, I'm happy you're following along! And, yes, I agree; thin mints are by far the best flavor.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gillian!

    I never realized how hard it would be to begin the process of helping someone in their research. I definitely see how procrastinating would really slow the process down. Good for you to finally get all those obstacles resolved!

    Also, it is refreshing to learn that lab animals are treated with care and dignity. It sounds like research has really improved over the past 20 years in that regard.

    Stay healthy and here's to a successful week of research!

    Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jakob! Yeah, I definitely didn't appreciate that getting approved to intern in a lab would require this much work. However, I'm happy to do it since it assures that the animals are treated kindly. I'm excited to keep working with Dr. Conrad and her team.

      Gillian

      Delete
  3. Hey Gillian!

    It sounds like you had a pretty hectic week and I'm sorry you got sick. I am very glad to hear you are feeling better though.

    I didn't know working in a lab would require so many tests. However, I am glad to hear that the tests are related to the rats being treated with care. I was a little bit worried about that when I first read about your project. I am happy to hear that you got you ID. Congrats!

    I can't wait to hear about your experience in the lab over the next couple of weeks!

    Shivalee Nigam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivalee! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gillian!
    I am happy that you have recovered from being sick and that the issues that you have faced regarding your ID have been resolved.
    It's wonderful that animals used for testing are treated with care and that such is guaranteed through taking a test. Thank you for that bit of advice at the end of the post. I am very excited to hear about your experiences in the lab over the course of your Senior Project.
    Thank you for taking the time to write such clear and detailed posts!
    Vara Vungutur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vara! I'm hoping that everyone following along can learn from my experience in the lab. It's my first time in a lab setting so it's all very new to me too.

      Delete
  5. Hey Gillian!
    I had no idea that laboratory paperwork was such a grueling process! I also didn't know there would be so many tests involved. In any case though, I'm glad you recovered from your sickness. I hope to hear more about your research in the future!

    Good luck,

    Anya Wahal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gillian,

    Sorry to here you are sick. I find it very nice that you discuss the ethics when it comes to using animals in psychological experiments.

    Sincerely, Bhavik Rajaboina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bhavik! The ethics surrounding the use of laboratory animals is very important to me, so I'm sure I'll be writing more about it.

      Delete
  7. Gillian,
    The large amount of paperwork and tests is surprising but it is good that you are getting through it. It is nice to hear that the test animals are well taken care of though. I wish you luck in your training and cant wait to hear more about this project.
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca! I'm happy that you are following along.

      Delete
  8. Hey Gillian! Super glad to see you made it through this week considering the ridiculous amount of work you had to squeeze in. I hope not to burden you too much, I just have one general question: after all the testing and training is done, what kind of research will you be doing in the lab? Thanks and hope you don't have too much paperwork this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kayvon! After all the testing and training is done, I'm going to be helping a graduate student with the work that he is doing in the lab. Right now, he is cutting brains to get slices to examine under a microscope. I'll learn more about the work he is doing as I go along and will be sure to keep everyone updated. Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  9. Hey GIllian, I'm sorry to hear about your diseased state, and I hope that you are currently feeling better. I cannot believe that you persevered through that load of paper work, I probably would have cried at the sight of, but you managed to finish it all. I am assuming that you have finished the tedious paper work which means that you will be starting your work in the lab very soon, I cannot wait to hear more about that in your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along Frida! I'm feeling a lot better in case you were worried.

      Delete
  10. Hi Gillian,
    Wow that process must be exhausting with all the paperwork! I never bought that there would be so much. Working in a lab is still worth it though. I can't wait to hear more about your project!
    -Jileena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jileena! I'm really happy that I get this opportunity as a high school student.

      Delete
  11. Gillian,
    I'm glad you were able to get all of the paperwork sorted out and that you're cleared to go into the lab. I bet you feel better about working in the lab after completing the exams and knowing, for certain, that the animals are treated in the most humane way possible. I remember this being a concern of yours at first and now no longer serves as a barrier to starting your work in the lab.
    -Ms. Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Wilson! I was very happy to see the care put into working with animals and am excited to keep working with Dr. Conrad and her team. Thanks for all your help along the way.

      Gillian

      Delete
  12. Hey Gillian! Looks like you had a pretty crazy week, I'm glad you got through it well enough and that you're feeling better now. What kind of information do they test you on, and what do those questions look like? Good luck with your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! The training that I have to do is all about working in a lab. The questions ensure that I know how to handle the equipment and work with animals.

      Delete